Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate love, and boy, do we love our edibles! But this year, instead of going out for dessert, we thought we’d stay in and get a little crafty in the kitchen to create one of the most beloved edibles in the cannabis community.
Nothing beats cannabis brownies, that chocolate-rich, gooey goodness mixed with that uplifting sugar high you get from your favorite flower. Talk about a match made in confectionery heaven. This year we’re spreading the love from our kitchen to yours.
You can use any flower you want, but in this recipe, we highly recommend using one of our personal favorites – Cloud Cover’s Frozen Dessert. Frozen Dessert is a highly potent cross between Ice Cream Cake and OZ Kush BX2.
There’s a science behind dosing edibles, everyone is different, but in our opinion, for first-time canna chefs, less is more. To find your perfect dose, check out this edible calculator to estimate the serving potency of each brownie!
Our recipe calls for an eighth of flower. Frozen Dessert has a THC potency of 21%, which means this flower will pack a punch with about 210mg THC per gram. So, an eighth, or 3.5 grams of 21% cannabis, will have about 735mg of THC. Our brownie recipe yields thirty-six mini brownies, each with a 20.4 mg THC potency.
Before we get started, first and foremost, you will need to decarb your flower in the oven to prepare for baking. Unfortunately, you won’t be saving calories here, but you will be preserving your flower’s potency! Some people spend hours making their cannabutter. Others kick it old school and add their flower direct to their brownie mix. In this recipe, we’ll be decarboxylating our flower in the oven because it preserves flower potency without taking away from the natural flavor of the brownies. As a bonus, it also saves you hours on prep.
It’s important to note that decarbing your flower in the oven will leave a very distinct odor of marijuana in your kitchen temporarily. So be sure to keep your overhead oven fan on, crack a window, or light a scented candle to distract from any unwanted smell.
Here’s how you do it:
- When decarboxylating your cannabis in the oven, you’re going to want to set your temperature to 225 °F and place the oven rack in the middle position. Avoid utilizing the top or bottom racks because they generally are too close to the heating elements. Every oven varies, but temperature is key here so stick to the middle.
- First, line your baking pan with aluminum foil, then double up with a baking sheet to ensure the cannabis does not burn by touching the pan.
- You’ll want to grind your cannabis until it is the size of rice granules. Remember, less is more here. If you over grind your flower, you risk burning it.
- After grinding, spread your flower across your baking sheet-lined pan, then gently cover your flower with a top sheet of aluminum foil. Then place in over to bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove your baking sheet from the oven, and let it cool for 30 minutes at room temperature. Ideally, your flower should look a little toasted with a golden honey bunch color.
After your flower has cooled, you’re ready to start prepping your brownies! Now we like to make our brownies from scratch, but if you’re looking to save time, you could choose your favorite brownie mix of choice.
Check out our Cloud Cover Chocolate Chip Brownies recipe below and feel free to add any additional toppings, but in our opinion, this brownie base is preferred.
Cloud Cover Mini Chocolate Chip Brownies
Yield: 36 Brownies Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/8 oz of decarbed cannabis flower
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with foil, then spray with nonstick baking spray.
- Melt butter in the microwave for approximately 30 seconds or until melted, then stir your melted butter and cocoa powder until combined and set aside.
- Mix your vanilla and sugar with your eggs and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Once your eggs are mixed with base ingredients, add your chocolate-butter mixture, and stir until you have a smooth chocolate-colored texture.
- Add your remaining dry ingredients - flour, salt, cannabis, chocolate chips, and baking powder. Do not overbeat here, but ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Finally, let the brownies cool completely before cutting the brownies into 3x3 inch squares to form nine even squares from there you’ll want to cut each of the nine squares into four mini brownies. Giving you a total of 36 mini brownies! Remember, these are highly potent, so when dosing, less is more!
- Eat and enjoy your Cloud Cover brownies!
For the ultimate sugar high, it’s crucial to note edibles tend to kick in between 30 minutes to 2 hours, but everyone is different. Limit yourself to one serving at a time and be sure to give your body enough time to process. Once processed, kick back, relax, and enjoy your Valentine’s after visiting a High Profile marijuana dispensary near you!
- Ann Arbor dispensary
- Grand Rapids 44Th
- Grand Rapids Leonard
- Kalamazoo Westnedge
- Kalamazoo W Michigan
Back to all news